Instagram Stories for business
Instagram Stories has forever changed how we use Instagram and how we connect with brands, businesses, and our communities, and I am HERE. FOR. IT.
You need the capability to swipe up to take your users to some site, product, etc… A Call To Action. But you REFUSE to pay for followers (good girl – read more on why I’m so adamant about that here and get some tips on how to actually grow your Instagram account the RIGHT way.)
Struggling with getting started in Instagram Stories? I shared an exclusive download: Instagram Stories 101 in the Dynamic Life Collective (aka ‘the DL’). HOP IN. It’s free.
Swipe up feature
Before this hack, the only way to get the Swipe Up feature was to either have 10k followers, OR a verified account. Instagram is very strict with their community guidelines, AND with which accounts get verified – which I can appreciate. No one needs @dailysquishreport to be verified… yet. lol
Swipe up feature allows you to link to an extraneous website straight from the convenience of the story WITHOUT paying for an ad.
Obviously, if you have a product, service, lead magnet, or blog, etc… you want this. right? So how do you get it without 10k or being verified?
HOW TO GET SWIPE UP WITHOUT 10K FOLLOWERS
There’s a simple hack to ‘MacGuyvering’ the Instagram swipe up feature for your Instagram stories, and it’s right under your nose… IGTV.
Not many people realize this, but in IGTV captions, LINKS ARE LIVE! YES! You read that right. Links in Instagram TV captions are actually hyperlinked and your viewers can tap them to be taken to whatever website you point them to.
With the new addition of ‘Series’ in IGTV, there is the opportunity to create essentially playlists of content. Why did they do this? Well… because BINGING. When people find more content they love, they will want to binge the content. Creating IGTV series will help them consume ALL the content they didn’t know they needed all in one easy space.
Be sure to pin this so you can refer back!
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Design a 9:16 image to utilize for your cover for IGTV. (if you plan to post a preview to your grid, be mindful of the square and adjusting it so no words get cut off, etc)
- Save your image 4 times.
- Download the app: VidLab (this is not sponsored)
- Open VidLab and select ‘create Slideshow’
- Select your 4 images and adjust the time they show to be GREATER THAN 60 seconds. (this will force Instagram to post it as an IGTV).
- Save VidLab project. You have just created your ‘place holder’ as I call it for your link.
- Open Instagram and post this video project you just created to your IGTV – again it is your choice whether you post a preview to your grid or not.
- In your caption, be sure to include your link! I like to remind my people that it is in fact clickable!
- Open your Instagram STORY: Upload one of the 4 images you saved (or SOMETHING ELSE) to your story.
- Select the link icon at the top of the story editing options and select ‘IGTV’ video. From there, be sure you select the correct IGTV that has the right link. NOTE: If your IGTV has not finished uploading, you may not have the option of the link when uploading to stories. Exit then try again. Once you attribute the IGTV to the story, your ‘swipe up’ feature is active!
THE DOWN SIDE:
Now, listen. I am a Social Media Manager, but I’ll be the first to tell you that I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING. However, I will always tell you what I think, share what I’ve learned, and be honest with you.
So… Here’s the caveat to the utilization of IGTV for swipe up in your stories.
You MAY CONFUSE your users. So if you’re planning on giving this a try, maybe do a simple screen recording to show them how to get the link you’re sharing.
ALSO: Instagram has been very up front that they benefit accounts that keep users on their platform for longer… SO, if we are pointing people OFF said platform by using this hack, is it a good idea for our algorithms? Some people will argue YES because they will get to where I want them to be, and others will say NO because you’re struggling with your algorithm. That choice is up to you, and needs to align with your marketing goals.
Enter PINTEREST for business…
Pinterest is a POWERHOUSE when it comes to clicks off of the platform. It is a Search Engine, after all, so that’s the point. right?! We are diving into Pinterest for business in the DL, so if you’re interested in an algorithm benefitting you for sending people OFF the platform, let’s get on it. You can also read more about WHY PINTEREST, here.
So maybe you LOVE this IGTV idea, maybe 10 steps is a KILL JOY. It’s totally up to you. I could see great opportunity for podcasters, youtubers, fashion bloggers, and more utilizing this option.
What do you think? Worth it to try?
Tell me in the comments what you think, or come join me over on instagram to continue the discussion! @sydneydelucchi
Leave a Reply