Welcome to a blast from my personal past as a Spinning Instructor. I love giving my riders something to think about while the lights are off and they’re pushing their minds and bodies to the limits. There’s just something about the vibes in the room when it goes black, and all you hear are beats, and breaths.
That’s exactly what this ride does. Another timer based ride, but merely for the reaction to help transition between the short intervals. (We will talk about how to set up the timer later).
Does anyone else think of the Jeep Renegade commercial when they see that word now? I’ll be honest, that commercial was part of the inspiration behind this drill set! The terrain the car was driving on looked SO fun and I thought to myself ‘what if we rode something like that?!?’.
Now, more about the actual ride. The drill itself is called ‘Renegade Ladders’. Renegade because you will need to betray from your usual methods of thinking during class, REBEL against your brain and whatever it is telling you, and abandon all your thoughts at the door — just be YOU and the bike.. nothing else. It’s so easy to let the weight of the day be present in your mind, during your workout – whatever that may be. With this though, actively allow yourself to only be present in the workout. Nothing outside of the bike defines you during this drill. Ladders, because we increase the drill time by 10 second increments all the way up to 60 seconds. So: 10/10-20/20-30/30-40/40-50/50-60/60. In the saddle/out of the saddle.
You guessed it, it’s a GRUELING CLIMB! 🙂 My favorite! The best thing about this drill is that you can add just one round into any class or session on the bike, or you can do them back to back to back! 😉
The Music Makes the Ride!
Use any playlist you’d like for this.
OR, here’s an easily accessible one for apple music!
How to Program the Interval Timer
NOW! For the ride timer.
Download Interval Timer Free from the app store.
- It will immediately open a new interval set upon opening the app. click the top banner, right corner where it has a little clock/timer. This brings up your ‘Current Routine’. [If you already have Interval Timer Free, open the app, click the middle button on the top banner, then click “+” to add a new timer]
- Name it ‘Renegade Ladder’
- Type: ‘Complex’
- Warm Up: 00:00
- Interval Cycle #1: Select 1 set.
- First Interval: ‘High’
- High intensity settings — Duration 00:10, Sound: Buzzer, Color: (you choose, I like red for high intensity)
- Low Intensity Settings — Duration 00:10, Sound: Buzzer, Color: (you choose, something different than the first interval. I like blue or green for low intensity)
- Add another Interval Cycle by clicking the “+ Add New Cycle” and repeat step 5 with the following time increments:
- After all Interval Cycles are entered, your Renegade Ladder is now programmed for 1 Entire Ladder set. You can choose to leave ‘Cool Down’ at 30 seconds so you can recover before completing an additional ladder, or following drill. 🙂
- Select Done, then hop on your bike and ride! 🙂
Enjoy the ride!
Leave a Reply